There is no doubt about it, coding is the new reading. Fortunately for those of you that code (yet) there are loads of online resources where you can learn.
Before we dig into our list of favourite sites, I wanted to share some advice which might just help you to overcome your fears about learning to code. Starts with the basics, take baby steps and try not to concern yourself with the bigger picture just yet. It can seem impossible at the beginning but people like you are learning everyday. Give yourself time, set little tasks and try to enjoy it. You’ll gain the confidence you need to move on to the next more complex task and hopefully catch the bug that all established coders have.
So, the list that is about to change your life:
- Treehouse: Here you can learn from over thousands of videos with is created by experts teachers on coding, web design and much more and their library continually refreshed with the latest web technology, so you’ll never fall behind.
- Khan Academy: With Khan Academy you can take a control of your learning by working the skills you choose at your own pace and you can choose from hundreds of courses.
- Code.org: They have an excellent beginner’s tutorials and resources for learning how to code.
- Coursera.org: Coursera give you free access to the world’s best education materials and they have partnership with top universities and organisations to offer to anyone take.
And, one for the ladies:
- Girldevelopit.com: Their website says, “By teaching women around the world from diverse backgrounds to learn software development, we can help women improve their careers and confidence in their everyday lives.”
If you’re needing a nudge in the right direction, this video is worth a push.
Have fun, and let us know if you’re learning to code or would like to… and even better if you started to code after reading this post!